Saturday, June 7, 2008

Galilee May 28 - June 3

That last post was way longer than I was expecting it would be... I promise this is only a very small part of what I wrote in my journal these days. So, now I've decided that you are just going to get the super highlights. If you want more details after you see my pictures of Galilee, I'll be happy to give them.
Galilee definitely earned its place in my heart as one of my favorite places on earth. The fact that we spent a week and a half living 200 feet from its shore almost seems like a dream to me. I loved every moment. Ok, maybe not every moment. It got really hot in the afternoons, and I often wondered "what the tell are we climbing?" haha... I'll explain that in a minute.
One of my favorite things that we did was to cross the sea of Galilee on a sail boat. Ok, it wasn't a real sail boat. It was for tourists, and it was motorized. But it was still cool. We stopped in the middle to have a devotional, where we read the story about Peter walking to Jesus on the water. Then we sang, Master the Tempest is Raging, right there in the middle of where it all happened. Sister Ostler requested that a few of us sing Each Cooing Dove, which is a song in the old hymnbook about Galilee. I sang with Jen, Camille, and Deborah. It's a very pretty song, and I put a copy of it in my journal. We got to sing it again in the Tiberias branch on Shabbat, and we were more prepared that time. Aparently it was President Hunter's favorite song, and the older members of the branch remember how he used to ask them to sing it when he came to visit.
My favorite churches that we visited were on the Mount of Beatitudes, and Mount Tabor, which is the traditional Mount of Transfiguration. They were very well taken care of, and beautifully and simply decorated. I don't like the chruches that are so full of ornaments and shrines. They make me feel crowded. Another favorite place was Capernaum, where Peter's house was. Jesus spent a lot of time there, and probably stayed mostly in Peter's home. Christians have been using that site as a church since the very beginning.
Something I really liked about all the sites we visited was that we stopped to have a short devotional given by students about what happened there, or in a place like it. We would also sing a hymn or two, and that was expecially cool in all the churches, where the sound was amazing.

0 comments: