Saturday, May 3, 2008

The first 3 days

So, I planned on bringing my journal up and just quoting from it, but I left it in my room. My first walk through the Old City was so overwhelmingly amazing. I loved walking through all the shops in the Muslim and Christian quarters. The spices smelled amazing as we walked by. There were so many colors and smells and sounds. I'll be back many many times, even if it is just to walk through. We couldn't take pictures on the first trip, because they didn't want us getting distracted and separated from the group. We have had perfect weather for walking so far. Its even a little chilly because of the breeze.
Yesterday we went to 5 different high vantage points to see perspectives of the Holy Land from every direction. I climbed 209 stairs to the top of the Augusta Victoria tower. I thought I was going to die at the top, but I recovered, and the view was amazing. It was an exceptionally clear day, and we could see all the way to the dead sea.
Today was my first Shabbat in the Holy Land, and it has been wonderful. We had church in the auditorium, with a huge window behind the pulpit showing a gorgeous view of Jerusalem. I remember having church in the Nauvoo room, and they wouldnt let us open the curtain during sacrament meeting because they thought we'd be distracted. I think the view just adds to the reverence of the meeting. It was perfect. After church, I walked to the Orson Hyde Memorial garden, which is beautiful. Then my friends and I went on the the garden of Gethsemane. It was very crowded, so i think I'll have to go back during the week to really stop and appreciate it. We saw a few other churches, and the Jewish cemetery on the Mount of Olives. Its so beautiful.
The pictures I promised are up on facebook! Lets see if I can figure out how to add the link to my blog. I love you guys!
ps- it takes forever to add pictures... I may not do it as often as I had hoped.

1 comments:

Rebecca said...

Sweet pictures! Mom was freaking out that you guys would be stuck in Vienna...until she realized that your plane for Jerusalem would have left already.